The inspirational Longfellow House with four dominating two-story pilasters was originally built in 1759 by John Vassall, a wealthy royalist. In 1774, Vassall and his family abandoned the house and fled to British protection in Boston on the eve of the American Revolution. Later, the house was used by George Washington as his headquarters for nine months during the siege of Boston in 1775-76. During this time he was visited by Benjamin Franklin, Abigail and John Adams, and other revolutionary leaders. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, the renowned American poet, occupied the house from 1837 to 1882. Longfellow's residence was a favorite gathering place for many prominent philosophers and writers including Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nathaniel Hawthorne and Charles Dickens.
Sweet Bottom Drive - Cambridge
Era: Colonial
Style: Georgian (1720-1840)
3827 Sweet Bottom Drive
Longfellow House – 105 Brattle Street,
Cambridge, MA (1759)
Inspiration Tour